Monday, May 21, 2007

NOTE: if you're new to the blog and are looking for the diary of our India trip please scroll down to the November Archive on the right.

Bruges

So, after all the rellies had decamped on my birthday we went for a quiet Chinese and several more beers (which I realised at 2am may have been a tactical error on my part...) with Davvie, Bones and Keith. After they prevented me from singing several verses of the Hedgehog Song - Terry Pratchett shares my birthday (and Nanny Ogg is a serious role model) - we ended up back at the Angel Hotel 12 hours after our first visit.

On Sunday lunchtime we met up with almost everyone from the day before, but in Bath this time, for lunch at the Salamander. Howard was able to join us too - his Dad's 70th birthday was also on the 28th so, understandably, he had other priorities yesterday. Lots of time was spent in the Old Green Tree later in the afternoon - beer seems to have become rather a theme of this birthday - quelle surprise...

Hotel Navarra - front view
On Monday we went to Bruges on the Eurostar via Brussels. Jon had sneakily booked my leave with my boss without me knowing - so several people at work knew I was going away over a month before I did! There was so much secret-keeping about this whole weekend I'm amazed that no-one ever got confused and let one of the several cats out of the various bags - shows how cunning we are, doesn't it? We stayed at the Hotel Navarra, which was wonderful and just a stone's throw from the Markt. We'd definitely stay there again.

Us in the hotel garden with Brugse Zot
The first evening we sauntered around and ended up at 't Brugs Beertje - OK, yes, as it's one of the most hallowed pubs in Bruges, we were actually looking for it. We were lucky to get a table as it was beginning to fill up and I bet it's packed during high season. Great place with brilliant beer, it was with reluctance that we left after a couple of drinks to stagger a few yards down the road to the Bistro Tolkien to get some food.

The following day we did the tour of the Half Moon Brewery - the last working brewery in Bruges centre. They used to brew Straffe Hendrik but have now sold it and brew Brugse Zot blond (6%) and dark (7.5%). The tour was worth every penny and we got free beer at the end too - I love the Belgians...

Still Life With Cheese
We then did a boat tour of the canal, which was great for getting a different view of the city, before tottering round the Memling exhibition. The hotel has a lovely little garden at the back so went back there and ordered a couple of Brugse Zots and settled down to read: see Mr H's composition 'Still Life with Cheese' - that's what an afternoon in the art galleries does for you... or was it the morning in the brewery?

Jon had booked a restaurant when he booked the trip - in early March - Den Dyver (also spelled Dijver) which co-ordinates its food with beer. It was only when we walked in that we realised it we'd seen it on the 'Hairy Bikers Ride Again' a couple of weeks before. We went for the 4 course set menu with its beers to accompany each dish. It was fantastic, the food was wonderful and we had a great evening. Personally, I could have done without facing a photo of the maitre d' sitting naked on one of the restaurant chairs, but it didn't put me off my dinner (but then very little does!). I just hope they use a good disinfectant...

Then back home the following day. The only train that was late during the whole trip was the one bringing us back to Chippenham...

Bev's decorated desk
When I got back to work the next day, my colleagues had decorated my desk (and they got my car too before I went home). They'd also bought us a box of beer as a wedding present - can't imagine where they'd got the idea that we like beer...

More photos are on the album here.

Bev with wedding present beer
Oh, as everyone seems to be asking... 'No', I won't be changing my name, but we're quite happy to get post addressed to 'Mr & Mrs Hazell' (or 'Mr & Mrs Mason' if you'd prefer!).

The photos the Gazette and Herald took are now available to buy - click here, then click 'search' and look through the 'hits' to find the one of us as a couple and the one of the boys toasting Jon. Then just click to order. A 7x5 print costs £8.00.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:35:00 pm, Blogger librarylizzie said...

I'm glad you had a good time in Bruges, but I'm devastated to hear about the Straffe Hendrick brewery.....who brew's it now????

 
At Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:57:00 am, Blogger The Ferrets said...

Straffe Hendrick was sold to Riva and is now brewed by Liefmans who took over Riva a couple of years ago. http://www.liefmans.be/EN/StraffeHendrik.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home