Wednesday, October 19, 2011



Summer Motorsport

In August we went to the 'CSMA Big Weekend', two days of racing which featured trucks, pickup trucks, Mini Se7ens, classic touring cars, single seaters and Mini Miglia. The results can be found here.As part of our CSMA club entry we got free goes on the karting track and the 4x4 'experience' like last year. As you can see, this year I drew the short straw and did the karting along with my Dad. Neither of us were terribly enthusiastic but at least it's one thing I can say I've tried and I never have to try it again! Dad was, of course, much quicker than me, but at least I wasn't last and I did actually overtake one person! The left foot braking was a doddle, but the steering was incredibly heavy and unresponsive. Once I did get the steering wheel to move the kart would turn on a sixpence without spinning but I didn't really have the energy to get it there - Dad and Jon both said the same, so it's not just weedy little me! It was also SO juddery and I couldn't put the power down smoothly. 15 minutes has never seemed so long! This year it was Jon's turn to do the 4x4 track that I did last year - much more fun!

The racing was good, with the Minis as brilliant as ever. We'd never seen truck racing before and it was definitely a spectacle - well, it was once the fumes had cleared at the start of the race!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Stonehenge (recommended), which is on a mini service area just off the A303, and on the Sunday morning the carpark was filled with several million pounds worth of privately owned supercars on their way from London to Wilton House for a car show. Dad got quite a few photos and we Googled it when we were back home. It turned out that they were all PistonHeads' members taking their cars to a supercar charity day. No, we weren't jealous in the slightest...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home