Saturday, November 28, 2009

Gran and DadJust back from the funeral of our third Granny in less than a year - so we're down to just one Granny between us now. My Gran Mason died peacefully in her sleep just over a week ago and this is the last photo that was taken of her when my Dad visited her just a couple of days before she died. At 90 she was the youngest of the Grannies.

So, no more will either of my Grannies look past me when I walk in to see them and say, "Isn't Jon with you?" (or, when speech was becoming difficult with Gran, just a straining to see round me and a quavering, "Jon?"), if he was a little slow at coming through the door! At the end of the funeral service the Minister said, "And our thoughts go with Alan, Jean (my Dad and Mum), Jon and Beverley...", and I thought, "I reckon both Gran and Nanna would have been happy with that!"

One story sticks in my mind. After my Dad was born Gran's next pregnancy was with twins who, were still born. As she put it, in those days dead babies were just taken away and 'disposed of' so she never got to see them and say goodbye. Not everything was better in the good old days.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home